Webinar: Strategic Use of Amicus Briefs in Appellate AdvocacyOctober 12, 2017
On October 12, 2017, Capital Appellate Advocacy founder Larry Ebner participated in a Strafford live webinar, “Strategic Use of Amicus Briefs in Appellate Advocacy.” Larry and two additional highly experienced appellate specialists, Averil Rothrock and Mary-Christine (M.C.) Sungaila, covered many amicus brief-related topics, such as the following:
- What strategic considerations affect decisions on whether to solicit and/or file amicus briefs?
- What are the elements of an effective Statement of Interest?
- What unique considerations should counsel consider at the discretionary review stage versus the merits stage?
- How can appellate specialists, trial counsel and in-house counsel most effectively team on preparation of amicus briefs?
- What special issues are involved when the Solicitor General is invited by the U.S. Supreme Court to file an amicus brief on behalf of the United States?
- How should counsel respond when state attorneys general, law professors, former government officials, or other ad hoc groups participate in an appeal as amici curiae?
Press the DOWNLOAD button above to view the webinar Power Points.